Follow my blog with Bloglovin private sport shop Review [2021]

private sport shop Review [2021]

 

private sport shop reviews high-quality products but poor service

I’m not a large guy, but I like to pretend I’m David Hogg. A.k.a. a dick, I’ve been lucky enough to learn a few things in my 20s, and by 33, I’m more than qualified to sell you a baseball bat and wax your tires. Today, I’m here to tell you about The Strand, a (semi) exclusive NYC shop where the right kind of guy goes to get everything he wants. Though I’m no sales genius (I wasn’t even in Business 101), I can recommend the Strand as a nice place to get some of the things you need to get done, and the majority of the items you need to NOT get done.







You Are a Strand Customer When: You’re about to do or learn something you want to impress someone with. When you have a lot of work to get done, you’re going to need some clothes. You don’t have time to scour designer clothing shops, so the Strand has you covered. There are about two dozen styles of jeans to choose from, and every time I walk in there, there are at least ten pairs that I must own.


You Are a Strand Customer When:


You want something that you can’t find at a normal shop. The Strand has a highly specialized collection of leather coats, boots, hats, and purses to choose from. But even more interesting are the rare, antique, or handmade items that you’ll find inside.
The Strand Is A Relaxing Environment Where: You can buy something like this. It doesn’t matter how hard you try, you’re not going to become an expert shopper at the Strand. But what if I told you that there are really, really fast, efficient people standing behind you, ready to help you? These people are all really nice, and they look out for you. I met with one of the salespeople the other day and explained that I was looking to build a big project. In the space of a few minutes, he made a few suggestions, showed me a couple of sports products that he thought I’d like, and then we wrapped it up. He offered me a recommendation for a good hair product and a very good bike chain. “I know that you’re busy, but it’s nice to have people think about you,” he said. “Because if we’d have thought about you, you wouldn’t have found us!” When I say that I’m very busy, I don’t mean to suggest that it doesn’t take time to set up appointments, or that I’m looking for your “little favors.” It does, and I appreciate it when you ask me to hang on to my time for you. I have a lot going on, but I always try to say yes, when I can. And to you, The Strand has nothing to do with saving time; it’s all about quality and value.

Why does The Strand have the reputation it does?

Good PR, I’m sure. It’s not their fault that they’ve been completely outshined by their competition for years. But perhaps the real reason that they get so many people to come to them is that it’s just fun to go there. It’s fun to meet cool people who take their responsibilities seriously, and who think about what they sell. Who do you think would be a good person to hire at The Strand?
Here are a few of my suggestions:
• Amelia Freberg, who runs the vinyl record section. She’s the sweetest woman you’ll ever meet, and she always has time for customers. I met her once, but when I saw her the other day, she came right over and asked me a few questions about the equipment I was using. It turns out she’s been collecting records for a long time and is always finding fun, interesting stuff to offer customers. Plus, she knows her stuff: I talked to her about the equipment, and the other day, I got the RCA jukebox I needed. • Peter Willmore, the “Skateboard Guy.” He’s the guy who runs the skateboards, surfboards, bicycles, and paddleboards section. On my first visit, he invited me up to his place to check out his collection. Since then, I’ve often stopped by and we’ve talked about stuff that I’m looking to buy. One thing he told me was that buying a paddleboard is much easier if you already have a surfboard! • Mark Bidisk, who runs the sporting goods section. You know that feeling when you buy something, and you’re just not quite sure how to use it? I bought this cool light on eBay and didn’t really know how to use it. I finally got around to playing with it, and I love it. Just last week, Mark taught me how to turn it on and off. • Brooke MacClare, who runs the digital cameras section. She’s very passionate about photography and often shows customers the exact same model they’re looking at. I didn’t know that someone could be that knowledgeable about cameras! In fact, Brooke is an advocate for people making their own trips to the Strand. She often posts on her Facebook page (www.facebook.com/pages/The-Strand-Books-Inc/) suggestions for where to find things you’re looking for, and says, “I think it’s nice when people come here to find good deals and support a local business.” “I remember when the owner died,” Brooke says, “There was a lot of sadness. But now, everyone there is upbeat and enthusiastic. You really feel good in there.” I believe it. If you want to make a trip to The Strand a real one, go on a Wednesday or Thursday. These are the days when a few of the booksellers will be working at the register. They love to chat. It doesn’t cost much, but you never know what you might learn. If you want to learn more about The Strand, visit them at The Strand Bookstore, 1105 O’Farrell Street. The phone number is (415) 831-9271. (Further reading: City Comptroller John Liu’s report on rising retail rents in San Francisco (PDF); the San Francisco Chronicle’s recent article about the challenges of independent bookstores in San Francisco.) What do you think? Could I live without The Strand? I don’t think so, but would I be a better, or a worse, person if I didn’t have it? What are your thoughts? If you enjoy reading books by interesting people, like Ian Schrager or Joyce Carol Oates, please sign up for my newsletter: aweeklyedition@sfchronicle.com. I’ll send you information about new books, plus cookbooks, videos and more. John King is the executive director of The San Francisco Writers’ Grotto and a former weekly staff writer and arts columnist at the San Francisco Chronicle. You can reach him at johnking.sfwg@gmail.com. Click here to see an updated list of The Strand’s booksellers. Click here for a related sidebar story. • See photos from a recent holiday book sale at The Strand.

Michael Moe is a professional tour guide, writer, speaker, and photographer. He has written about Bay Area travel for more than a decade. You can follow his writing on SFGate.com or reach him at mike_moe@hotmail.com.

View more travel posts on TechCrunch.

To send a letter to the editor about this article, submit it online or check out our guidelines for how to submit it by e-mail or mail. A minimum of four months of fresh, prime deli meat is good value; San Francisco Chronicle A comically small turkey keeps the show on the road; San Francisco Chronicle What to do if you’ve lost your camera or other valuable tech gear on the way to San Francisco; San Francisco Chronicle Tired of Verizon? Here’s how to get rid of your account or phone; San Francisco Chronicle Here’s how to keep paying for cable TV even after it goes out of business; San Francisco Chronicle Lindsay Middleton is the author of “Last Call San Francisco,” a new book about the long, strange story of San Francisco nightlife. She wrote it in 20 months for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Visit her blog, Lounge Guard.

Wondering what’s next? Check out “Five San Francisco food trends that will be big in 2016.” Can’t get enough coffee, chocolate, or beer? Here are 30 San Francisco beer adventures, 30 San Francisco food adventures, and 30 San Francisco restaurants. Check out our calendar. Keep checking us out at www.sfgate.com/matierandross. Matier & Ross column archives Click here to see more of Matier & Ross’ Food and Drink coverage. Click here to read the Chronicle’s updates on Facebook. Feedback? Questions? In other news... Nannette Sadik-Khan: West Portal Freeway project ‘legally sound’ Fort Mason’s giant penguins will be moved to a ‘safe, serene, comfortable’ waterfront space The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research now wants to move to Balboa Park Judge hears arguments against S.F. Zoo’s move How Will Myers rebuild his memories of his brother’s death? The man who studied Joan Didion and other famous authors

Post a Comment

0 Comments